Mobiles are great for recording video. Here are some tips to help you get the best results.
Get the light right
- Any image capturing relies on light.
- Make sure you have adequate light illuminating your subject.
- Look for light sources and move accordingly
Get in close and frame correctly
- Mobile video is most likely destined for the web, so the screen size will be quite small.
- To make the most of available area make sure you frame fairly close.
- Don’t zoom to get in close – get closer to your subject.
- Aim to include head & shoulders with little or no headroom.
Always shoot landscape
Hold your phone horizontally, with the home button to the right.
Hold it steady
- Try and hold a steady shot, but relax.
- Don’t follow the action – let it happen within the frame.
- Use a tripod if you can.
Keep it short
- Keep clips short, 10 – 20 seconds is ok. It’s easier to find clips.
- Trying to hold steady for long periods is quite strenuous!
Think about sound
- Mobile will have a small mic
- Make sure it’s close to the subject (get in close)
- Use headphone mic
- Don’t put your finger over mic!
There are numerous apps for mobile video. The best one is probably the built-in camera app of your device!
Others you might want to look at are: